Schedule an Appointment:619-294-9525
4033 3rd Ave #300, San Diego, CA 92103 Directions
Implant Dentist in San Diego
Choosing the implant dentist to place your dental implants in San Diego
Dental implants have high success rates, but only under the expert care of highly trained, American Dental Association (ADA)-certified dental professionals. In order to receive a comprehensive treatment plan, optimal care and ideal results, selecting the right dentist for your dental implant procedure is crucial.
While any dentist can call him or herself an implant dentist, only oral surgeons, periodontists and prosthodontists are ADA-recognized dental specialists who have the years of training and experience required to perform complex dental treatment procedures, including dental implants. In order to select the right dental team to suit your needs, it is important to ask the right questions to learn more about your dentist’s specialties, expertise and experience in the dental implant procedure.
Here are a few questions to ask your dentist or dental team before or during your initial consultation:
- How many years of training does your dentist have in dental restorations and surgical procedures?
- What training has he or she undergone to handle complex dental implant procedures, as well as any complications that may result during the procedure?
- How many surgical training or continuing education courses does your dentist take annually to maintain his or her certification?
- How does your dentist demonstrate a commitment to continuing education on the latest techniques and technologies?
- Do these courses comply with ADA requirements and recommended guidelines for meeting legal standards of care for surgical dental implants?
- How many years has your dental specialist been performing dental implant surgeries? How many implants does he or she place each year?
- If your surgical specialist works in concert with a prosthodontist or general dentist, how long have they been working together? How many surgical procedures have they completed together?
- Does your surgical team have before and after photos to compare the results they’re able to achieve?
- Does your dentist have patient testimonials or references he or she is willing to share?
Whether you decide on using a team of specialists or a single dentist, they should be willing to arm you with the information you need to make the best decision about the placement of your dental implants. Ensuring that your dental professional has the accreditation, experience and expertise necessary to achieve successful results will give you peace of mind that you have made a sound investment in your dental health long into the future.